8/30/10

Simplicity Blouse 3684 - Almost DONE!

Hello, hello to my favorite readers!

Is that a cheesy greeting? Umm, well all of the people who read my hobby blog are my favorite. ♥ ♥ ♥ ...now I got that out of the way.

Okay, so first I want to mention that the humongous squash we found in the garden was woody with a pumpkin like skin. Ick. We didn't even let our dogs gnaw on it. Haha... It was fun to find in the garden though [Edward and I discussed our hoop house tonight - that's the next big adventure for the Boe's. :)]

Can I get on to sewing now, paaaalease?!  12 Photos enclosed.

It looks like I'm going to have a new top for the new school year. I worked on my blouse all day today. Well, among a few other things. I had a hard time getting up enough nerve to get busy on the collar. This next photo is of my very first attempt at constructing a shirt collar in school. DOH!

Dear God in HEAVEN ABOVE! I am so sorry that you had to see that! Hahaha... But can you understand why I had an avoidance issue? LOL. I decided that I have been doing an okay job so far and I shoved my way passed the emotions. The first step was to pin the collar before basting and sewing it on.

After I sewed, I had to take a look at my work. CRAP! What the heck is that? At this point, I was too tired to perfect anything. I thought I would work all those little hang-ups with the iron. I learned that the iron can do wonders for a seamstress while I was in school. That's why I ordered a nice Consew iron. :)

I pressed and pressed and pulled and ironed. This next photo is the outcome. You can still tell there was a glitch in my skill, but not too ugly of a job.

My gosh! Doesn't this collar look TEN TIMES better than my school-made Oxford? WOWZA!

And up-close??? I would totally wear this in public. LOL.

Here's the collar in the back. No pulling at the seams. This fabric is excellent for beginners to work with! BUY SOME if you're a babe like I am! LOL.

This next photo is showing my gathering technique to ease the sleeve caps into the shoulder seam. I had fun doing this.

After the sleeves were eased, I had to sew on the sleeve bands. I remembered a technique I learned in school to match up seams using the pin in a clever way. (I'll put photos up of it, if anyone is interested - just let me know. You all might already know the technique.) The seams matched up nicely! Woofta. Phew. Sigh. :D Both sleeves are together, it's hard to differentiate them in this photo - sorry about that. (After the hoop house is up, I'm going to request a large window for better lighting! LOL)

The following photo is the completed shirt back with collar and pleated sleeves. It sure looks and fits better than when it had these darts.

The shirt front.

See the pretty pleates on the sleeves? The directions didn't say which way the pleates should go, so I hope there isn't a shirt-making rule that I should have followed. I might be embarrassed. ...at least I'm learning and pushing through my self-doubt. :D

I tried the shirt on and my shoulders slope a little more than what the dressform does. The shoulders could have been 1/2" to 1" shorter. Live and learn. I'll make a note of it on my pattern directions.

What do I have left on this "old fashioned" looking blouse? (My Sweetie said it reminded of him of old fashioned fabric. :) ...I'm not sure if I have feelings about that or not. lol) I have four things to do yet.

1. Hem the blouse
2. Add buttons
3. Finish the raw edges in the sleeves
4. Add the lace trim to the sleeves

 I'm sure I'll be able to work more on this top on Wednesday. I have that day off of work and all that I have planned is to lift weights! :-D (I can't wait. I'm craving it!) Thanks for letting me share this with you! ...Until Wednesday - Happy Days TO YOU!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah! It's lovely! Whatsa your next project ;-)
In response to a question you asked like... a week ago? {i suck at time} I will be keeping this blog - and possibly Loudhamburger... LH never took off the way I thought I could make it [due, soley, to my laziness and ADHD tendencies]... but deviant art I'm liking. I can throw stuff up and not have to talk about it :)

Laura705 said...

Wow, that was a very bold thread choice for your school project!

I think the blouse looks great and the fabric was a wise choice because it's also forgiving! The sleeves are very pretty w/ the gathers and pleats. Great job! You're lucky you can wear that style - I've always had linebacker shoulders and avoid puffy sleeves.

tawnya said...

Thanks Mar! My next project is a green cotton skirt. :) I'll change my link to deviant then. :)

Laura, I had to use a bold color. That was part of the criteria. The teacher wanted to see our seams easily. :) I don't normally wear puffy sleeves, but I liked this pattern and wanted to try it out.

Post a Comment