5/3/11

New Quilt Brings Other New Projects To Mind

Greetings!

It's been 9 days since I last blogged. That's better than 14 days, but I promise to get back on a weekly routine. Summer is barely making its way here and it's slightly depressing. I keep pushing forward though. I've had a lot of energy for crafting, which is great!

Well, first off, I'd like to share a quilt. My sweet husband and I have decided to use a quilt that his grandmother made for him for our king size bed. It was brand-spankin' new. Never been used. As a matter of fact, it still has the chalk marks on it from her hand quilting. :) So, what does having a new quilt really mean? This means that I get to decorate our bedroom in all new colors! I get to sew new table toppers and curtains and pillow shams! I haven't decided which color I want to use from the quilt (in the photograph below) but I have time to decide.


Since my yellow quilt lost its place in the master bedroom, it is going to be a lonely spare in the house. I've decided to hand quilt this. I couldn't find a template I liked, so I drew up my own. I made a large flower for the center of each block and a small flower for the cross-road on the lattice (in the photo below- upper left). I will start hand quilting sometime this week, I'm sure. I think having an extra quilt on hand will be nice. I'm actually in love with the yellow lonely quilt now. I added a brown border - which I will photograph and post later - and I fell in love. It's such a pretty, pretty quilt!


Moving on... more hand sewing. This embroidery business has me addicted. Or maybe it's the hand sewing. There is nothing like it to bring me relaxation. I love using my hands and eyes together with fine detail. The results amaze me. Now this next photo is of the Kitchenaid cover I made. This was one of the most simple projects that I've completed in my life! A basic embroidery image of a Kitchenaid makes this cover just a little more fancy. I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. :) The side panels are cherries. I might have put a little more thought into the way the cherries are floating because they aren't floating the right way. =o)  I'll remember that for next time. This type of mistake is what sewing is all about!


Random topic change coming now. Last night my girlfriend came over and we worked on making her garters for her wedding. She's asked me to help her with a variety of crafts - even stuff I've never done - and we've been successful thus far. She keeps asking me for more help. I'm so glad I am able to. All right, here comes another random topic change.


I'm not very smooth or fluent in my writing today. I suppose I would be a little more so if I were giving a tutorial of some sort. At any rate, here's my next project (next photo). :) I'm making a cute zippered tote. I like the tote in the pattern that has yellow and green stripes, so that's the one I'm starting with. My fabric is cheery light green with white polk-a-dots. The pocket fabric is this crazy bright teal with butterflies-all-over-it fabric (photo comes later). My girlfriend saw it and said "Yeah, that's Tawnya fabric." That comment made me smile.


Sorry for being sporadic or random. I have a lot of projects starting/finishing and wanted to get that all out on the table. (Which reminds me that I need to finish my crocheted white ruffle scarf.) My next post might be just as random if I can finish several projects. Time will tell...

Until next time, have a great week!

2 comments:

Laura705 said...

Awww, too bad your yellow quilt won't be used in the master bedroom. I like it because it's so bright and cheery! Maybe you can decorate such that you can periodically switch off between the two quilts - although the colors in both are so different it wouldn't be very easy, would it?

We don't keep many appliances on our kitchen countertops, but I kind of like the idea of making something with embroidery now that you've gottene me all enthused about it, LOL. My mom had made me two "faux machine quilted" tea cozies years ago that I use more for brewing individual mugs of tea than for whole teapots. Unfortunately, the bottom part of both are now stained w/ tea. I might sew my own version of new ones - these would have very dark fabric on the bottom so any tea stains wouldn't show, and then the body of the cozy would perhaps be embellished with something embroidered. Liking that idea! Thanks for your inspiration Tawnya!

Okay, back to YOUR blog, haha.

tawnya said...

Laura, that is such a great idea - to decorate in such a way that I can alternate between quilts. Brilliant idea! I'm going to work towards making that happen. Thanks for the idea.

I've been thinking of things that I can embroider because this is something that is very easy. I think you should pick it up! Things I would like to embroider are coasters, make up bags, totes, place mats, table runners, jeans, quilt blocks, pillow cases, shoe bags and shirts that I've made. Oh! And I just read that the company doesn't promise that the transfer ink will come out. I haven't washed something I've embroidered yet, but I will test it. I remember that you asked about that.

Have you put more thought into embroidering something?

Post a Comment