4/16/11

Tabel Runner, Tote, Chinese Lampwork Beads

Hi Everyone... I'm sorry for the two week lag. Yeah, tomorrow it'll be two weeks since I've blogged.

In my previous entry I mentioned that I started cutting and sewing the "Butterfly Trail" blocks for a table runner. I managed to get them pieced together. I trimmed the topper and this is the semi-finished look. I still haven't decided if I want to hand or machine quilt it yet. I'd like to make a black top stitch along the inside of the light pink triangles and use a light pink thread along the darker triangles. I still have to put more thought into it. Overall, I'm very pleased with my work. My points look great! I just might put this one up for sale. While I'm taking time to think...


I've almost finished up a tote. I think these colors are so beautiful together. The purple with small print has dainty gold leave flecks that I just can't get over. I quilted the top with gold metallic thread on the purple fabric and then I used an invisible thread on the floral pattern. I sewed a hook and loop closure instead of a zipper. I have to sew the inside flap down and I plan to hand sew that.


Here's the patchwork on the back side of the tote. The straps are long enough to pull over your shoulder with just a little ease for movement. I didn't want disproportional looking tote handles.


This tote is also tagged! "WizardGir1". I think it's a nice finishing touch. :)


Moving on...  I know that I'm not the biggest fan of quilting, but the tote project and the runner has encouraged me to make a small quilt. (DOH! I'm not even finished with my king size "Winning Hand" quilt yet. More on that at a later entry, as I have the border strips cut and ready to sew!)

This photo is of an Amish design. The pattern explained that the Pennsylvania Amish folks (a.k.a. Pennsylvania Dutch) didn't use bright yellow, orange, or yellow-green in their quilts. The neutral color used was black. I have always LOVED Amish quilts. I think they are so clean and easily read (they aren't busy with fabric colors and patterns). The particular block used in this quilt is called the "Bow Tie". Isn't it lovely? Do a Google search for this block in color. My printer ran out of ink. :D It's much more pleasing to the eye in full color. For this specific quilt pattern, I need 24 scrap strips of fabric.


These are my fabric strips. And no, they aren't solid. I think I might have only a few solid colors, but I have a different plan. I'm going to try to place them in this gradient color order after the blocks are made. That's the real reason I took the photo, so I could use it as a reference when it comes time. I think these prints will look adorable against the black color. I'm excited. All right, that's my quilting talk. Moving on again.


I helped my friend make her wedding earrings today. While we were at the bead shop, I saw the funky-fun (yes that's the technical term) Chinese lamp work beads. I had to have them. These will be adorable for summer. ...yup, another thing to look forward to (other than summer). By the way, I have to mention here that we got a half an inch of snow last night. GRR! That's just crazy. It's April. Not only that, but I'm SO done with winter here in Minnesota. It's just getting too long. I better stop complaining there. I want this to be a happy blog! :) I want to write about things that make me happy! 


Guess I'll close now. LOL. OH WAIT! I have one more thing to say. I saw a Kenmore Ultra Mini on Craig's List for $25 last Thursday. This machine has excellent reviews. It's made by Jamome, so it's good, of course. It's a 3/4 size machine weighing in at 11 pounds, but it has a full size motor in it. That means it has power! I want it. They sell for $100 at Sears. I contacted the seller to let him know that I was interested in buying it. He had to leave town and plans to call at the beginning of next week. My fingers are crossed though, because a person never knows how these things turn out. I tried getting a different machine once, and they never responded to my email. At any rate, you better believe that I'll mention whether I get the machine or not in my next post.

Until then, keep pushing forward through your projects!

2 comments:

Laura705 said...

I had to check off "funny" for this post because while you say you're not the biggest fan of quilting, you featured 3 projects that I consider to be quilting in this post, LOL, and mentioned a 4th! Even scarier, you've got me, an admirer of quilts but not a maker of them, slightly interested in trying something quilt-like. ;)

Yeh, I'm so done with winter in IL! We got some snow overnight. Grrr.

Hmmm, a mini sewing machine. Sounds good. I'm wondering if the newer machines have a lot of plastic bodies now and if that helps make them lighter - any thought on that? I have an older hand-me-down Kenmore and it's rather heavy. Since I try to put it away in the cabinet after each use, a lighter machine would be a nice thing.

tawnya said...

LOL... I know it! I'm trying to stretch my pallet of types of sewing. Quilting is different than garment sewing, although I could incorporate quilting into my garment sewing.

I'm learning that some patterns really stink and that makes quilting not fun for me. The hand tote is my own design, so it took a little more thought, but it was fun. I have a pattern for a quilted tote, but I don't know if I'll use it.

I ordered a book on the history of American quilts. I'm learning names of blocks and techniques. :)

Post a Comment