5/23/11

Gluten-Free Bars & The Abbey Bag

Hello again Friends and Family. :)

I thought I would try and get a post before 7 days have passed, but it didn't work out that way this time. But I did better than 12 days! Thanks for coming back!!!

I'll just mention that my time at the doctor on Friday was a good meeting. I feel like she paid attention to my plight. She sent me to the lab to draw several viles of blood. We're starting with checking my vitamin levels and cholesterol and other stuff. After I get results back, we go from there.

In the meantime, she's encouraged me to venture into the gluten-free diet. I've been as gluten-free as I can get for 4 days. I still learn a little more each day. I have even made a trip of the health food store to get ingredients for a new way of baking. I stopped at the library and got some gluten-free cookbooks. I browsed my personal collection first and tried a recipe. This is my first purposefully gluten-free baked dish - Pecan Shortbread Bars. My husband LOVED them. Directly out of the oven, they crumbled as I cut them. I put the lid on after they cooled and about an hour or so later, they cut nicely. Ed thought they needed to "rest" a little before cutting. Perhaps so. Here's the recipe I used:

Gluten-Free Home Made Pecan Shortbread Bars
  • 1 cup softened butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup fine white rice flour {(next time I'll try the brown rice flour, as it is more nutritious.}
  • 1 cup tapioca flour
  • 3/4 tsp almond extract {I ran out of vanilla}
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 4 tsp xanthum gum
  • 1 cup chopped pecans {I used 1 and 1/2 cups. :)}

Directions: Heat oven to 350°. Grease 9"x13" pan. Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg. Add flour, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in 1/2 cup pecans {I added the entire cup}. Press dough in bottom of pan. Sprinkle last of pecans over the bars and press lightly. Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Makes 32 bars.

Here's how mine turned out. Delicious! They were great with ice cream too! :) Okay, enough of baking.


On to sewing! Here's the wallet I made to match my tote. I added a pearl snap closure. I took the photo before I added that though... isn't it cutsie?! {I just realized that I haven't photographed my tote yet!}


Of course I have to share a picture of my new used sewing machine. It sews a little to the left of the foot, so I have to pay attention when I follow a drawn line. I do like the clanking of the mechanical machines. I'm thinking about decorating it with some glittery beads or something. I didn't spend a ton of money on it and I feel like I have a license to DECORATE now! :)


And you might remember that I am making a Sunbonnet Sue quilt with my mom. Here are some of my blocks.  I plan on appliquéing other cutsie stuff on the blocks with her, for example, stars, hearts and little critters. That's why some of their heads and hands are placed differently.   My favorite Sue is the one with the dark pink hat on.


I'm also working on a "Thread Catcher". This pattern is The Abbey Bag.


I found some emery sand at Northern Tool and Equipment. It's not called emery sand for sand-blasters. They call it Aluminium-oxide. :) It's mostly made from the material called Corundum {a stone?} and other particles are added. It's actually quite expensive. It's more expensive than I had originally planned for, but I wanted it badly, so I purchased it. Now I can make gifts with it. 


Here's the bag part. I'm practicing my blanket stitch for my Sunbonnets. =D


I'll finish this up tonight, I think. It was fun to make. I feel like I can tackle more time consuming projects if I work on them in mini-sessions. I've been working on this pin cushion for two weeks, maybe...? I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Well, that's all I have for today. Thanks for hanging in there with me! More Sunbonnets to come later. I'm also working on a different owl pin cushion with fabrics that are similar colors to my Abbey Bag. Oh, and I suppose I will be sharing a little more gluten-free recipes as I experience new ones. If you know of great gluten-free links, please leave them for me. I like the "tried and true" links. :)

Have a wonderful rest of the week everyone. See you again soon!

3 comments:

Laura705 said...

There you are! I love that combo pincushion and thread catcher. So cute. And I like the idea of the different poses for the "Sues" and having each one be unique with her own little appliques.

Hopefully you don't have celiac disease! Has the four days of being gluten-free made any difference in how you feel? My bf had a friend whose sibling opened a celiac food store based in Milwaukee. Their website isn't about recipes, but they've been around a while now, so here's the link anyway in case you want to see what's out there in the way of gluten-free foods/ingredients: http://www.food4celiacs.com/index.htm

tawnya said...

I thought the combo was such a good idea too - especially when I'll actually NEED it while sewing. I can't wait to use it. Having the Sues in action was my mom's idearrr... :)

Thank you so much for the link!! I checked it out just to take a look, but I plan on browsing much more later on. What a clever idea to open a gluten free store!

Anonymous said...

this is awesome. would you be willing to sell some of the aluminium oxide? I will pay for it plus shipping and handling.emid@frontiernet.net my name is evelyn I am a sewing grandma with 8 children and 22 grandchildren.

thanks
evelyn

Post a Comment