5/29/11

Vitamins and Garden Vegatables

Greetings everyone!

I have great news: my energy has been up for two days! My results came back at the beginning of the week on my vitamin levels and other blood tests. I'm low on vitamin D, which so many are around this time of year - especially in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Something funky is going on with the proteins in my blood also, which might point to the gluten sensitivity but I am not going to pursue that further unless something else changes. For now, I made a daily food serving chart to mark off to help insure me that I am getting my nutrients. I never want to be caught in that fatigue state again! Here's my easy-peasy chart.


We made it to Fleet Farm to pick out our veggie plants for the 2011 garden. We chose tons of peppers and tomatoes. I picked out large grape tomatoes and La Romas for bruschetta. We like planting marigolds around the garden too. Last year, our marigolds grew like crazy and they were even a miniature variety.


I love the alyssum honey scent. I had to have some of that too. They grow into a bush with tons of fertilizer.


We're going to extend our garden by 100 square feet. The shape of the garden will be like an "L".


We worked on it a little bit last night - well, Ed did. I helped a tiny bit with the posts. He actually started in on the dirt and shaking the sod while I started supper. We plan on getting compost, black dirt, and manure. Ed also got a gigantor box of Miracle-Gro fertilizer to use this summer. We're going to have crazy veggies. He told me that he's taking over the garden this year. He told me that it's too hard for him to help me when he's not in a routine. Besides, he's the one who loves the food more from the garden. I mostly think it's cool to watch plants grow. :)  


It was fun watching my herb garden plants come up. My yarrow is going crazy and my lupine looks great - although I don't think it's a plant that people should eat. I just put it in the herb garden because it's such a cool shaped bloom. I'll post photos of that when they bloom.


I have 4 chive plants. This one is in the front in a pot that is sinking into the soil. It looks so neat so I left the pot sinking. I can't believe the chives are ready to bloom! It seems like the snow just melted. We're having such cold weather still. I had a sweatshirt on again yesterday even. Well, when I wasn't mowing the lawn. I took it off to get some sun. I got a little pink, but that's it.


Today we need to finish what we can in the garden. Hopefully we will be able to plant our vegetables and seeds. I know, we're late for seeds. Such is life. We'll just harvest later in the season. I suppose I should get my garden clothes on and head out. We have to take the dogs to Petco to get their rabies shots before 11 am, so we need to move! :)

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

laura705 said...

Hope you enjoy your enlarged garden space - you sound excited about it! Do you have to fence everything because of deer, rabbits, etc?

tawnya said...

Hi Laura! Yes, yes, yes... we have chicken wire to prevent the rabbits from coming in and the deer. They live in the swamp that's a block behind our house. One of their favorite salads is HOSTA! They've stayed away the past two years though. I think that's a result of letting our dogs whiz on them as we taking them for a walk. I read to let them do that. Haha...

Do you have critter issues with your garden vegetables???

Post a Comment