2/5/10

Computer Mouse Wrist Pad

I'm finally back at the Kenmore. Well, for one small project at least.

The joints in my hand have been swollen and achy lately, especially when I use my computer mouse, so I decided to make a bean-bag wrist pad similar to what they sell in the stores.

The first step was to draw out a pattern and cut it out and grab a bag of beans from storage. I used Lentils.
The next step was too trace my pattern onto the fabric choice - blaze orange fleece - and make a zigzag stitch to allow some give. I also left a spot open to pour the beans in.
 

It was easier to cut the pattern out after it had been sewn. It can be difficult to sew around a curve with a knit fabric and I wanted some extra fabric to guide through. I still had a hard time with one of the curves, but I figured I would make do. 
 
 
I left a huge tag of fabric to tuck in after I turned it inside-out and poured the beans in. That's a little trick I learned from Tone Finnanger, author of "Sew Pretty Homestyle". 
 
And this is the final photo. A finished BLAZE ORANGE wrist pad. I'll use it for a few days to see if it alleviates any swelling or pain in my joints. I have a minor concern that I may lean on the nerve in my wrist. It won't be long until I know for sure. 
 
Ooooh... I just had an idea. Maybe my Mum would think about sewing a few of these up for her quilting group-gals for their holiday gift exchange. I'll have to send her this link. ;)   Hmm... My wheels are really spinning now!!
 
 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool. We have a wrist pad w/ the gel stuff and it does help support the wrist.

Post a Comment