2/14/11

Cloth Diaper, Booties, Amiguruami Turtle

Happy Valentines Day everyone! I hope you're seeing hearts everywhere... :) I got a Valentine from a little girl at work that said she was glad to see me again. I'd worked with her at a different site in the district. I thought that was too cute. Valentines is a great day for kids to practice edifying one another. I like it.

Moving on to crafts and such! (Sorry, no Valentine projects.) Last week I mentioned that I sewed up an adorable item - well, the item was this cloth diaper. I had to put some hook and loop tape on it before I could photograph it. I used a diaper cover pattern for this cloth diaper so it's a tad large for a newborn. It's a decent enough prototype. I'll have to experiment and cut the pattern down.  The pattern is nice for older babies. Like everything I do, I need to tweak it for its purpose.


Next, I sewed up this make up bag. I had the idea to apply a cute gingham ribbon before installing the zipper. I've had this project sitting in my sewing room for several months now. Isn't this fabric so colorful and fun? This fabric reminds me of spring and fall. Make up bags are easy, but I sure procrastinated on it. Typical behavior for Tawnya. I'd fail as a true wizardess. :)



Moving on to crochet... If you look back at my previous entry, you'll read that I really was uninterested in crocheting this week. I really want to stay with my plan to switch my hobbies up every week so I don't get bored and to stay up to date with my projects. I started out small. I found a pattern in one of the last crochet magazines - Baby Booties! They are adorable and cozy, but THEY DON'T MATCH! I asked my ma to come over and help me with the pattern. I did just fine on the bootie I stitched up while she was here, but the second one got a little funky. She'd mentioned getting a new pattern, so I thought I'd do the same. Maybe I'll try that next month.After I get a pattern down, I thought they'd be cute to sell at WizardGir1.


Anyways, I kept on crocheting. I found this amiguruami turtle pattern on one of the yarn websites and wanted to give it a go. It was really fun stitching up. The instructions directed that the feet be sewed on after the body is stuffed, so that's what I did. However, (get ready for a little story here) while I was sewing them on, FIONA swiped one off the sofa and scooped it right up. She brought it to her secret room in the basement. You know the one? The room that cats store everything in which they steal. Yeah. that's the one. I thought it was gone forever, but then I had an idea to wait it out. Twenty minutes later I went down the basement stairs and there the turtle foot lay on the last step. Fiona had come through for her wonderful master! :) Good Kitty.



After I finished the turtle, I grew excited to begin a new project. I have been eye-balling this wonderfully colored yarn for about two months. I finally decided to throw it into my cart. It's called "bikini". I know, it's a dumb name. It's a dumb name just like the bag pattern from Janome. It was also called a "bikini bag." Whatever. But the color isn't less exciting because it has a pathetic name! It's so fun! I'm looking forward to wearing this scarf on cold spring and fall days.


Along with my colorful yarn, I threw in some acrylic beads that I intend to use for making children's jewelry. This next week is my jewelry making week. Woohoo! I'm looking forward to that one. My friend says making things for children is a must because they enjoy the smallest treasures. I'm also going to try to make time to finish the colorful scarf too. I welcome you all back next Monday to see how far I've come on the scarf, if I haven't finished it.

Until then... Happy Week!

2 comments:

Laura705 said...

Very productive week for you. Those booties are so cute! I imagine those small projects bring a lot of satisfaction because they can be finished so quickly. I suppose I should try that.

tawnya said...

Hi Laura. Some weeks are more productive than others. It's easier when a person chooses manageable projects. (I keep remembering my 3-winter afghan and 15-year-quilt. LOL) And you're right, I'm pretty satisfied with even the smallest projects. I don't know why I didn't start out with the small to begin with. I could have saved myself some grief. :P

Post a Comment