2/28/11

Restringing and Puffed Flatbread

It's a new week and it's the END of February. Didn't this month fly by quickly? Geez, it seems that I just made Edward's Valentine's Day card. :)

I had another busy week last week, but I managed to get a couple hobby things done. A lady at work told me about a magnetic bracelet she purchased that was falling apart. I told her that I would take a look at it for her and restring it with a clasp, if I could. Here's the bracelet strung on the stretch cording. You can see the elastic broke. 


Here's the finished piece with a sterling silver toggle clasp. I didn't realize that she wanted a magnetic clasp. I brought it in today and it fit beautifully. I was worried because I had added about an inch with the clasp length. Apparently she works with a child who gropes and pulls at her accessories and needs them to be "breakaway" style. I brought it home to restring it with a magnetic clasp. I'll work on that after I'm finished here. :)


In addition to beading, I also made bread! Baked Puffed Flatbread to be exact. This bread tastes so incredible and the texture is amazing - firm on the outside and soft in the center.

Here's the recipe. 

1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for brushing
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 cup plain yogurt (I used vanilla)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra for sprinkling
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons sesame seeds

Directions
In a medium bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water. Add oil, sugar, and yogurt. Mix with wooden spoon until combined well. Add wheat flour and 2 cups of bread flour. Mix until flour is incorporated, about 3 minutes. Turn out of bowl onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 12 to 15 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Squeeze dough gently with full hand: if dough is sticky, sprinkle with flour and knead just to combine. Place dough in medium bowl with plastic wrap in a draft-free spot. Let rise until it doubles 30 to 45 minutes.


Turn dough onto a floured work surface and cut into 8 balls. Let rest for 5 minutes. With a rolling pin, roll each ball into a flat circle - 4 inches in diameter. (Mine aren't uniform.)


Brush tops of circles with water and then sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Use a rolling pin to set the seeds on the surface of the dough. About 30 minutes before baking, adjust rack to lowest position and line rack with a pizza stone or baking sheet at 500° F. Bake dough for 5 to 6 minutes.


When it's done it will puff up and the bottoms will turn golden brown. Transfer breads to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.


Serve warm.


Serve "Edward" style - butter and jam. This bread is very easy and could easily be made into flat rolls for a gathering of sorts. 


I still want to get some sewing in, but I just haven't had the time to get started. I have some new ideas and when that happens, I feel bombarded. I know, I know, I do it to myself and I have to get a grip. I need to write down my ideas so I don't feel pressured. After this week, I don't have any sub jobs for two weeks. I plan on getting some sewing in within that time. Laura, you are right, beginning a dress may motivate me to lose those pesky pounds!

I didn't intend on baking a new bread this week, so we'll see what comes of next week.

...until then, happy days to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment